Sinus infections are caused due to inflammation of nasal passageways, also called the paranasal sinuses. The condition is quite common and affects people throughout their lives. The infection usually begins with obstruction of airflow inside the nasal passage, thus leading to reduction of normal mucous elimination. Normal mucous elimination is vital for good health of the sinuses. Sinus problems also occur due to dehydration of mucous due to diseases, lack of humidity in air, and use of antihistamines.
Various causes of sinusitis
There can be various other reasons behind sinus problems such as environmental factors like smoke, pollution, and dust, autoimmune diseases, changes in climate, and allergies.
Steps for preventing sinus
The best way to avoid the discomfort that is caused due to sinus infections is to prevent this infection. There are various simple steps that can help you prevent sinusitis infection to a great extent.
Since sinusitis infections usually occur during the flu and cold season, here are few steps that should be followed during this season.
- Maintain the moisture level in your nose by using saline sprays. You can also make use of humidifiers to boost moisture level in your sinuses and nose.
- Avoid all things which can trigger any kind of allergy in your including cockroaches, house dust mites, and molds. If you suffer from any kind of allergy, take all possible steps to treat those allergies.
- Drink abundant amounts of fluids to boost the moisture level in the body and to keep it hydrated at all times.
- Eats as much vegetables and fruits as you can. Fruits and vegetables are extremely rich in antioxidants as well as various other nutrients, which can boost your immune system and keep you away from infections.
- Consult you doctor and get an influenza vacation at least once a year.
- Use electrostatic filters by attaching them to air conditioning equipment to help remove all kinds of allergens from the environment.